Beware Fake iEdge Card
Just recently, as early as February 12th, the existence of a fake iEdge card has come to light. We’ll try to report as many details on it as possible and we assure you that we neither stock nor sell fake cards. Many users have come to expect R4 cards to have bad and unreliable clones, but it’s always been assumed that the Edge brand was clone free, as it was for so long. That’s now changed with the introduction of this new clone. So far it has been confirmed that they are being distributed through www.r4i.co.uk but other sources might crop up in the coming weeks.
Looking at the packaging, it’s difficult to tell that it’s fake, but as soon as you open up the card there are a few giveaways just from the physical clues:
- A black iEdge card is likely FAKE
- A spring clip micro SD slot on the iEdge is FAKE
- Packaging that directs you to http://www.edgei-ds.cn instead of http://www.edge-ds.cn is FAKE
While many production shots of the iEdge, even those on the official site show the iEdge in black, the actual card itself comes only in white. A black one may come out in the future, but is not in distribution currently.
If you are still unsure, then the following should also verify that the card is real or not:
- Danny Phantom showing up instead of Sudoku (or the iEdge logo if unflashed) is FAKE
- A red Menu? Icon showing up with improper software installed is FAKE
- A different GUI then the official Edge software is FAKE
As near as we can tell the fake iEdge displays behavior of a DSTT clone, but there is also speculation that it is an Acekard 2i clone. Needless to say, it is far less refined then a real iEdge card and has no guarantee of its stability or continued support. It is definitely recommended to avoid this pathetic fake. The Edge Team has recognized the fake’s existence and released the following statement…
22 / 3 / 2010
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Fake iEDGE products in the market!
It has come to our attention that a site, namely http://www.edgei-ds.cn, is selling fake products using the EDGE brand name. These fakes are not supported by the EDGE firmware and the product is no way associated with the EDGE team. Consumers should avoid purchase of this product, as the support is poor and the compatibility is low. We will shortly post pictures showing you how to identify the fakes.
Below we have pictures of the REAL iEdge card in action. You can find this card on our page here: iEDGE DSi Card
- A REAL iEDGE is polar white (for now).
- A REAL iEDGE shows up as Sudoku after proper boostrap flashing (we preflash the card for all of our customers).
- A REAL iEDGE has a non spring clip slot for the micro SD.
- A REAL iEDGE directs you to the proper manufacturer website http://www.edge-ds.cn .
- A REAL iEDGE has the official Edge software GUI.
As further developments occur we will report them as we come across them. If you are interested in an iEdge, rest assured, we carry the real deal. The software on our site comes straight from the manufacturer, and we never hide the manufacturer’s website from our customers, because…well…we have nothing to hide .
Once again, you can pick up an iEdge at the following link: iEDGE -EDGE DS Card for DSi
source from : http://www.dscardworld.com/blog/2010/05/11/fake-iedge/